Thursday, March 27, 2014

Ft. Myers Trip, Day 9: Heading Home

RECAP:    My husband and I both grew up on the river.  Literally.  The river was just footsteps outside of both of our front doors.  We love the water.  We love the beach.  So when we decided to start venturing further than a day's drive away from our home for a family vacation, we chose the beach.  Ft. Myers Beach, FL, to be exact.  Here's what we did on:

Day 9:

I didn't want to get up.  I didn't want to go home.  I didn't want to get dressed in my jeans and long sleeved shirt.  I wanted to keep waking up to the sound of the waves.  I wanted to keep looking out my window and seeing the beach and beautiful water.  I wanted to keep taking daily walks on the beach.  I wanted to continue being able to go to daily Mass so easily.  I wanted to keep putting groceries in a bike basket.  I wanted to stay forever, but day nine had come and it was time to go home.

Goodbye, sandy toes!

Goodbye, sand dollar path to the beach, I will miss stepping over you and seeing our littlest one jump on you!

Goodbye, freezing cold, tiny pool and "train track."  I kinda won't miss you.

Goodbye, Sunset!

Goodbye, Coconut Trees!

Goodbye, Beautiful View!

In the morning, after the van was all packed up. We walked to the beach one last time.  Our sand castle, built the day before, had survived the night and even the traffic of morning walkers and bikers.  I looked at it and wondered how long this reminder of our family's presence on the beach would remain.  It felt like we were leaving a small part of us there, on the beach.  It was only fitting because I believe the beach left its' mark on our hearts forever and none of us will ever forget the wonderful family memories made there.  I could hardly believe how sad I was to walk away from it all, but that is exactly what I had to do.

We turned our backs to the beach and began our walk down the now-familiar path, for the last time.

 I would have given a great deal to make a right turn off of the path and head into the house, as I had done so many times before that week.  Instead, I just kept walking, heading to the jam packed rental van, to squeeze in, and start our journey back home.

Obviously, we made it home.  The airport was a train wreck.  We packed WAY too much and none of the adults made it to check-in unscathed.  Grandma looked like she was having a coronary.  I fell and all the luggage/car seats I was hauling landed right on top of me.  Dave was listening to me snarl at him for going too fast and informing him that, "I EVEN fell," when he himself, fell over, and the kids were hot, whiny, and exhausted as well.  It was 80 degrees and we were dressed for 0 degrees, so that did not help. BUT, we made it.  We made it, and despite the long and uncomfortable days of travel to get there and back, we all look forward to doing it all over again when time and finances allow, and next time we know to PACK LIGHTLY!!!!!!

Congratulations!  This is it.  You have made it through nine days of rambling and run on sentences!

Here's what we did on :  Day 1Day 2Day 3Day 4 Day 5Day 6Day 7Day 8

No comments:

Post a Comment